Monday, October 27, 2008

I don't know where to go from here

27% raised: 65 days to go

well. after a very stressful and frustrating morning in LA, my visa application is in. There were many tears shed, there was not enough coffee consumed and I am just glad the whole thing is over

it started at 4:45am with an argument with my dad on the way to the airport. My parents are being... well not exactly unsupportive, but they think that I am being impractical. At least once a week I hear how I should have waited until next year, or I am not going to get the money raised in time, or something along those lines.

Got on the flight and to LA ok, had to wait for my shuttle to take me to the consulate. Then my shuttle driver got lost on UCLA campus, during morning rush hour. I was 10 minutes late to my 15 minute appointment. Got into the consulate and they were nice enough to squeeze me in. BUT apparently the person who I had emailed to make sure that I had all of the necessary paperwork from University of Salamanca lied to me and did not let me know that I had to prove that I have paid my deposit for school. SO I walked 6 blocks to a fedex/kinkos, got online and printed my bank statement that shows I paid it. Return to the consulate to find out that I have the wrong kind of prepaid mail envelope (their website is wrong... it says they only take USPS express mail... FALSE. They want fedex express mail which would have been nice to know when I was at the fedex/kinkos) So I leave again and go to the mailboxes, etc that is just next door, get the right envelope and go back upstairs. Of course while I am doing this last trip, my shuttle to the airport tries to pick me up, so I have to call and reschedule a new pick up (which I ALMOST missed that one too!). Finally made it back to LAX and had my first cup of coffee of the day and had time to sit and just relax for a bit.

Now I am at the house where I am dog sitting, and I just got an email from my mom. She thinks I am avoiding her and not talking to her. Sigh. I have just been busy. That whole time management thing again. My mom and I used to have so many issues when I was growing up, but we have become amazing friends since I graduated high school. I don't want to ruin that, but I don't know how to tell her how much her negativity hurts me.

gah. sorry for the long story, I just needed to rant. I don't know if this is just one of those obstacles that I have to get through that will make it all more worthwhile in the end, or if its just satan being a poop. (that's for you Romi). I think the only thing I need to worry about now is raising the rest of my money for the trip. Tuition is due December 20th and the rest is my money for while I am actually IN spain. Here is the breakdown for those who have asked/care to know

School tuition - 880 euros
Housing - approx. 1210 euros
Food/Personal - 1350 euros
city transportation - $100
other travel - 500 euros
retreat - 60 euros
cell phone (with min.) - 35 euros
ministry - 225 euros

with the current exchange rate (at this very moment it is 1 euro=$1.26) this leaves me with about $5,500 left to raise. I am having another car wash on November 8th (ask me or see facebook for details) and I am trying to think of some more clever ideas for fundraising!

3 comments:

Guin said...

Sounds like a crazy day, Cass! I wish I could have been with you, we would have made a fun adventure out of it. :)

Seriously, I am keeping you in my prayers. I believe in you - I have faith that you WILL get the money raised on time, and do amazing things in Spain.

I love your face!

Guin

Brandy said...

Cassie, mi chica, I know you're scared, you have lots of things being thrown at you. But, try to take your parents with a "grain of salt". If you're scared, imagine how they feel...their first born is moving away for a semester and not even to a school in the US, you're going across the country.
God is putting stuff in your path to see how you handle everything.

Romi said...

Wow, Cassie! Talk about satan throwing up roadblocks literally and figuratively!! He obviously knows all the amazing things you'll do in Spain so he'll stop at nothing to prevent you from going. But GOOD FOR YOU for getting it done in spite of the adversity you faced!! You persevered and triumped!! Let that sink in, encourage you and remind you that with God's help, you did it!!! Celebrate that and remember it when discouragement and doubt start creeping in. If He's brought you this far, He'll provide you with exactly what you need to go to Spain!! In this time, God is not only growing, shaping, and refining you, but He's also doing that to your parents too. Just as much as it's a huge step for you, it's also huge for them to let go. It's hard because everyone has to re-align so to speak and allow for growth.

Believing in you, Cassie and keeping you and your parents lifted in prayer! Just think how much more character you'll have developed by the end of all of this! ; ) (Something my dad always said to me and drove me nuts! But he was/is right about that, just don't tell him I admitted that!haha)