Monday, September 1, 2008

the beauty you have now is brighter than before

12.8% raised for Spain: 124 days until I leave!

I have been trying to get back into songwriting lately. It is hard for me because I am not proficient on the guitar or piano, so I almost always need help actually composing the music to go with the melodies... or I end up with really basic chord progressions. I would love to be better and I think I finally have the patience and willingness to learn how to better myself in this area. I just pray that God gives me the courage to actually let other people hear the songs I write. 

Sometimes I have a hard time expressing myself with words, so I allow others to do it for me :) Bethany Joy is one of my favorite singer/songwriters. This is one of my favorite songs right now, and I would love to be able to perform it someday. (ps- I also love her songs "let me fall" and "songs in my pocket" if anyone is bored and would like to look them up)

It's gotta be this one
Don't have to fake it
You know I can take it
What if I told you
Your tears haven't been ignored
And everything that is taken
Can be restored

[Chorus:]
Feel this, Can you feel this
My heart beating
Out of my chest
Feel this, Can you feel this
Salvation under my breath

It's gotta be disguised
Soul and script
Caught in the mirror
What if I told you
That innocence is yours
And beauty you have now
Is brighter than before
Before


3 comments:

Andrea Sipe said...

Art is such a personal thing, isn't it?? I've been thinking a lot about that lately . . . think I might actually blog about it - it's been on my mind for a while now. :) I once had a teacher - ONE TEACHER (in the midst of so many others) - who told me I have the kind of voice people don't like to listen to . . . despite all the other positive input and support I had, that is the ONE comment I heard and have remembered . . . I haven't sang publicly since. It's been well over 10 years now. Crazy. But the fact is, when we sing or act or dance for others, we are putting a part of ourselves out there to be seen, heard, understood, MISunderstood, etc and it's scary and hard. And, you know, there will be songs that you write that suck, and THAT'S OK!!! . . . just get that through your head now, and then, when you do write one that isn't so good, it won't hurt so bad. You'll be able to get back up and write again, and again, and again, until you are soaring and giving life not only to the song, but also THROUGH the song, to those who listen and engage with your music. :)

Brandy said...

Oh I love the lyrics to that.
I always wanted to learn how to play an instrument, especially a violin. I think it's the most beautiful sound.

Andrea Sipe said...

PS - The ONE TEACHER that told me I can't sing was a costumer in the theater department . . . how MENTAL am I??? Hey, I'd love to hear you music someday, or at least read the lyrics . . . :)