Monday, September 15, 2008

Sing to the Lord, He is worthy of praise

14.7% raised for spain: 107 days until departure!

I recently added a class to my schedule, so I am now in the Red Mountain Chamber Chorale at MCC. This semester we are doing a lot of Spirituals, Hymns and folk songs because... well because that is what the majority of choral music is. After class I got into a discussion with one of the Tenors about church. He and I had a class together last year, he knows where I stand in my faith and we have talked about our beliefs before. I guess he never knew where I went to church, or didn't remember, but today we had a "heated discussion" about church music and what it has become. I mentioned that we don't have a traditional service at Central anymore and I was told that for that reason our church was "not right". "It should not be about the people, it should be about God. You have made church into a free concert for people, instead of bringing them closer to God in worship."

I honestly was so shocked, that I didn't even know what to say. He was making such broad judgments about our music and people. I didn't know how to respond while maintaining a Christ-like attitude. I tried to explain the reasons that the traditional service no longer exists, and that I don't ever feel like church is a concert. I said that we are trying to use music that is relevant to contemporary culture to reach people and bring them to God. If I am being totally honest, sometimes I don't even think about the words when I am singing in chorale. I think you can turn it up and rock out in worship and that it is just as pleasing to God. He gave us the ability to sing and to play these instruments- it seems only fitting to use those gifts to return praise to Him.

This is really rocking me. As a music ed major, I will someday be teaching probably these very same songs to my students. How do I connect with God in these hymns and old spiritual songs in the same way that I do when I am singing at 3F? How can I maintain a Christ-like attitude with this guy in my Chorale?

2 comments:

Andrea Sipe said...

Hmmmm . . . well, first off, can I just say that God is all about people . . . so, essentially, to be all about God kind of turns the tables (to an extent) and makes it all about people. I see the guys point, I honestly do . . . there should come a point where the music we're singing doesn't matter. What should matter is that we are giving praise to God!! So, hymnal, spiritual choral piece, or rock - it is the heart that matters, and we should have hearts so enamored with God that we can praise Him with anything, anywhere!! Now, first, I would say start listening to the words and turn Choral into yet another time to praise God (as every moment of our lives SHOULD be . . .) And just let your light shine around this guy. Meet him half-way . . . think about what he said, and where his heart is. Yes, he may be passing judgement on us, but we do the same thing! Think of how we judge those churches who chose to sing only hymns. Or not use instruments. Or whatever. They are doing what they think God has called them to, what they think is best!! And yet we judge. We talk about how they are not "relevant." How they are not drawing people in. We do, don't we?? I mean, I do! Yet, who are we, as mere mortal men, to judge ANYONE?? So, yes, he's judging . . . let's get over that one. Doesn't offend me. So now, let's see . . . he's saying that we should be putting the focus on God. And in that he is 100% right. So, ackowledge that. Even admit to the fact that there probably ARE people (even if it's not you or me) who do come for the concert! Admit that Central, as a church, does stuff that's probably off base - doesn't every church?? Be humble, Cass, be willing to admit wrong, and be willing to see where he is right. Go back and tell him you've been thinking about what he said, and then go on to acknowledge that which you agree with (and skip the junk you don't agree). See if that softens him up. See if that opens up a conversation. See if that doesn't make him a little more willing to then see your side of the issue. WHEW!! OK, I've blabbed on-and-on here - I'll let you go! Let's us know how things go, K??? :) Love ya!!

Danielle said...

I am SO sorry I missed your event. I was really looking forward to it because I've never been to one of their shows. I hope it went well!