Wednesday, February 4, 2009

you have to follow through

Just a Reminder: If you have pledged to sponsor me monthly (or if you would like to give a one-time gift), please don't forget to get your checks to my family so they can deposit them! I am still only at about 80% of my total budget for the semester and most of what is still missing is for my rent and food to keep me alive :). If you have any questions, please email me at casscass152@yahoo.com

Well- quick update on the apartment. I now officially have a bedframe and we have a new fridge! Of course, the day after the fridge came... the light in my & meredith's room went out. Our landlord is going to know us well before we leave!

AND.... Spring cleaning/touch up at the campus house turned out to be a bit of a waste of time. It has been an unusually rainy winter here in Salamanca and apparently there is a problem with drainage pipes on our street that drain INTO our walls of our basement. Normally when the weather is dry, this isn't too bad of a problem... just mop up the water and go on your way. However because it has been so wet, it has not had a chance to dry out and the water is now slowly destroying the house. I spent, no joke, the ENTIRE day yesterday mopping the house (while everyone else was setting up for Tertulia) and we have now implemented a "flood control" schedule which involves someone coming every 2 hours to mop up water/wring out towels and check for damage to the house. There are places where the plaster is coming off the wall or water is pouring through cracks. I also just checked the weather for this week- rain or snow everyday. Lovely. Our landlord and some people from the city are coming to the house today to assess the damage and see what can be done. Please just pray that they can find a way to fix this problem with drainage so that we can set about the task of fixing the house and getting back to our focus here!

In good news, we still had a pretty good turnout for Tertulia yesterday (even with the rain). A few new people, but mostly returning regulars. We have cafe ingles tonight that I am looking forward to and bible study on thursday! Lauren is singing/guitaring, I am singing, Meredith is playing the violin and Krin is playing guitar/bass. I think Koral is going to video so I can put it on facebook. It has been kinda interesting singing with another girl. I didn't realize until this week that I never have before (unless I was leading and another girl was singing harmony). I guess we will just see how it goes.

Well... off to wring out some more towels and then get ready for the day!

No comments: