Thursday, February 26, 2009

don't know why

I have given up meat for Lent. I have never done Lent before, so this could be an interesting month. I thought about giving up coffee, but I realized that people still have to live with me.... so that was not the best plan. Anyway- no meat. And anytime I have a craving for it or have to go without, I am going to be praying for a different person/cause/event that will change every week.

This first "week" (until sunday) is going to be for someone in my life who has helped me become the person I am now and will continue to support and encourage me as I grow. Kris- I know that things have been hard lately and I am sorry that I am not there with you in person, but you are always on my mind and this week especially is for you. Happy Birthday lil sis. I miss you more than I can possibly say. I hope your day is amazing and restful. <3

Next week: East Asia Team '09- this one is for you! I will be lifting you up as you get ready to leave, travel and see the people of Asia. (Beth or Mich- if you have an itinerary, could you send it to me so I can pray for those things specifically?) Don't forget... Spain is technically on the way back to AZ, so if you feel like making a side trip....

week of 3/9: We will be going to Campamento the 13-15, so it seems only appropriate that I would spend that week praying for the people in En Vivo who need to be on that retreat and for the event itself.

week of 3/16: God's direction for my life once I return home (specifically involving friendships/relationships)

Ok.. so I need 3 more things to fill the other weeks. Any ideas/suggestions? (Tara or Romi, I know you will have thoughts...)

Semana Santa or Holy Week, basically like Spring Break for Spanish Students, is April 2-12. The other exchange students are all going to be traveling during this time, but because of my current financial situation, I will be staying in Salamanca. I may take a day trip or two to nearby cities if I can gather some extra cash for bus tickets. I am actually a little excited about staying here. It will give me some quiet time- always good for me- and I will get to see all of the processions and events here. Its a little weird because Good Friday is a bigger deal here than Easter. The whole thing is supposed to be very sad and mournful. I think sometimes the Catholics here (or those who are "Catholic" but not practicing) forget to take Jesus off of the cross. Its like they forget that yes, He died, but He also rose from the dead and that is what makes us different from other religions. That is where we find our Hope. We have a God who loves us enough to send His son to take our pain and pay our debts, and is powerful enough to raise Jesus from the dead. I have been reading a lot in Hebrews lately, and in the gospels, specifically around the death and resurrection. I love that every day when I read, God is showing me something new. He is just so cool sometimes.

To finish- thank you to everyone who sent me encouragement regarding my last couple of posts. It was really helpful and so appreciated. I know that I have been kinda down lately, but things seem to be on the up!

No comments: